The history of the Lübeck Cathedral is closely linked to Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony. He clarified the balance of power in the area north of the Elbe. Count Adolf von Schauenburg was his feudal lord in our area. Count Adolf ran a very zealous and successful settlement policy. Messengers were recruiting settlers for sparsely populated areas in all lands. Count Adolf has also established instead of the 1138 destroyed by the Slavs Altlübeck on the peninsula between Trave and Wakenitz a trading place, which was again named Lübeck. Henry the Lion was able to take over the city after a conflagration of Count Adolf. Thus, the re-establishment of Lübeck in 1159 has become possible. Henry the Lion became a generous supporter of the city and its trade in the Baltic Sea region. Just one year after the re-establishment of Lübeck, the bishopric was relocated to Lübeck. Henry the Lion assigned to the bishop in the south of the city an area for the construction of a cathedral and for the houses of the canons. First, a wooden church was built in the area of today's cathedral, which was consecrated in 1163. Then the plans for the great stone cathedral, to which the foundation stone was laid in 1173, began. Since there were no natural stones available in this area, the brick was chosen as the building material. It was a Romanesque building.